Registration of Society
Office of Commissioner of Industries
Government of N.C.T of Delhi, C.P.O. Building, Kashmeri
(Office of the Registrar of Societies)
(Guidelines and instruction for Registration of Society under
the Societies Registration of 1860 as applicable to the Union
Territory of Delhi).
Visiting hours 10-30 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.
The Societies Registration Act 1960 as its preamble show
has been enacted to make provisions for improving the legal
conditions of societies established for the purpose given
under Section 1 to 20 of the Act. A society registered under
this Act acquired the legal status capable to use and be used
Section 6 of the Act are:
- The purpose given under section 20 of the Act are: Charitable
Societies, the Military, Orphan funds and Societies established
for the promotion of Science, Literature the fine art for
instruction the diffusion of useful knowledge the foundation
or maintenance of libraries or reading rooms for general
use among the members or open to the public or public Museums
and Gallaries of paintings and other works apart designs
promotion of social welfare, sports games, activities conducted
to the protection and improvement of natural beneficiaries
forests, lakes rivers, wild life and compassion wildly creature
- Only the societies formed for the purpose laid down under
section 1 to 20 of the Act and having these purpose as under
aim and objects may be registered under the Act
- The name of the society should be such as does not attract
the provision of emblems and Names (P.I.U.) Act 1960. The
name proposed shouldnot suggest or be calculated to suggest
the patronage of Govt. of India or the Govt. of state or
connection with any legal authority under the law for the
time being in force.
- The name of the and emblem s Act 1960 also prohibits the
use of any name emblem, officials seals, colourable invitation
tearof as specified in the Act, without previous permission
of competent authority. It also prohibits the use of nameof
national heros and other names etc. mentioned in the Act.
Thus societies thereof advised to consult this act also
before proposing the name etc. for registration.
- The two main documents are required to be filled under
section 2 of the said societies Registration Act 1860 for
registration of a society under are listed and those should
be necessarily be filled in duplicate. 1. Memorandum of
Association 2. Rules and Regulation.
- Memorandum of Association: Memorandum of the Association
of the socities and defines the permitted range of its enterprises.
The purpose of the Aims and objective of which society is
formed have to incorporate in the memorandum.
- The society should be carefully understand the incorporated
in the Memorandum
- Desirous persons or the persons a subscription the names
the Memorandum should not be in any case be less than seven.
If a proposes to give ALL INDIA Character to the Society
and the word All India character or Akhil Bhartiya formed
part of the name of society the must be a minimum of eight
different persons from eight different states of Union to
- The memorandum of Association may be prepared according
to the model from given below:
MEMORANDUM OF ASSOCIATION
- Name of the Society : The Name of the society shall
- Registered office : The office of the society shall
remain in the Union Territory of Delhi and at present
is its following address.
- Aims & Objectives: : The aims and objects for
which the Society is established are as under:
d) and so on
Please add this clause in the Memorandum after completing
All the income earnings, moveable immovable properties of
the Societies shall be solely utilized and applied towards
the promotion of its aims and objects only setforth in the
Memorandum of the Association and no profit on thereof shall
be paid or transferred directly or indirectly by way of dividends
bonus profits or in any manner whatsoever to the present or
past membersof the Society or to any persons claiming throughout
any or mo of the present or past members. No Member of Society
shall have any personal claim on any moveable or immoveable
properties of the Society or make any profit, whatsoever by
virtue of his Membership.
- Governing Body: The names, addresses occupations and designationsofthe
Membersof the present members of the Governing body to whom
the management of the Society is entrusted as requiredunder
section 2 of the Societies Registration Act 1860 as applicable
to the Union Territory ofDelhi are as follows:
S.No. Name in capital Address
- Desirous persons: We, the undersigned are desirous of
forming a Society namely
under Societies Registration
Act 1860 as applicable to the Union Territory of Delhi in
pursuance of the Memorandum of Association of the Society.
Name and address
Note: The Memorandum should close after clauses given
in the above model form.
- All the signatures of the desirous persons shall subscribers
as given in clause 5 of the Memorandum and must be witnessed
by an Oath Commissio Notary Public Rs. 3/- Notari stamps
affixed or Gazetted officer ner, /Advocate or Magistrate
Ist Class with their Rubber official stamps and complete
in all respect.
- The names of the persons mentioned in clause 4 (Governing
body of the model of the Memorandum must necessarily be
included under clause 5(i) in the list of desirous persons
or subscriber to the Memorandum. This is to say that members
of the Memorandum cannot be outside the list of the desirous
persons subscribers to the Memorandum. This is essential
- Rules & Regulations: For carrying out the aims and
objectives given by the Memorandum and for internal management
of the Society rules and regulations may be made by the
society these rules and regulations are known to the society.
- That these rules and regulations of the society should
be filled along with the Memorandum with the registering
Authority for the purpose of registration of the society.
- 10. If the rules and regulations of the society are inconsistent
with the provisions of the Act they are invalid and the
fact that till they are invalid and they are deleted with
the Registering authority for the purpose of registration
of the society cannot be made them valid.
Rules & Regulations:
- Name of the Society
- Membership defined
- Admission and qualifications of membership
- Appeal and re-admission of members
- Rights and privileges of membership
- General body defined
- Power and duties functions of the General body
- Noticesof meeting and periodically of meeting.
- Managing/Governing body/ExecutiveCommittee defined
- Minimum and maximum strength including office bearers.
- Election and its mode.
- Terms of the office of the Governing body
- Powers and duties of the office bearers
- Quorum and notice of the meeting
- Filling up casual vacancies
- Sub-Committee, if any, formation II(composition III) duties
- Sources of income and utilization of funds
- Audit or Accounts
- Operation of Bank account
- Annual List of Managing/Governing body (Section 4 of the
Act). Once in every year a list of the officebearers and
Members of the Governing body of the society shall be filed
with the Registrar of Societies Delhi as requiredunder section
4 of the Societies Registration Act 1860.
- Legal Proceedings (Section 6 of the Act)
The society may sue or be sued in the name of the President
Secretary as or be sued in the name of the President, Secretary
as per provisions laiddown under Section 6 of the Societies
Registration Act 1860 as applicable to the Union Territory
- Any amendment in the Memorandum of Association or Rules
will be carried out in accordance with procedure laid down
under section 12 and 12-A of the Societies Registration
- Dissolution and Adjustment of Affairs
If the society need to dissolved it shall be dissolved as
per the provisions laid down under section 13 and 14 of
the Societies Registration Act 1860 as applicable to the
Union Territory of Delhi.
- Application of the Act
All the provisions under all the sections of the Societies
Registration Act 1860 as applicable to the Union Territory
of Delhi shall apply to this society.
- Essential Certificate
Certified that this is the correct copy of the Rules and
Regulation of the Society Sd/ Sd/
Sd/ (President) (Secretary) (Treasurer)
- The two documents for registration vis. Memorandum
of Association and Rules & Regulations should separately
be typed neatly andproper with separate page making
good quality durable paper should be used for typing
as to the documents for permanent records.
- At least one and half inch margin must be on left
side and and one inch from right side of each sheet
on the thick paper while typing on double space lining
and the types on the one side only.
- The aims and objects given under Clause 3 of the Memorandum
should not be repeated in the Rules and Regulations
like wise, the activities of the programmes of working
direction towards attainment of the aims and objectsand
society should not figure in Memorandum.
- Specific language given in the Guidelines for particular
clauses may be adopted while preparing the documents.
- In case management of or reference to a particular
existing places of worship like mandir, masjid, gurudwara,
church or budh vihar etc. is involved, sufficient, documentary
proof is required that the society is legally competent
for the same.
- An affidavit on Rs. 2/- (Rupees Two only) Non-judicial
stamp paer from the President or Secretary of the Society
should be furnished regarding the relationship between
the subscribers (desirous persons) to the Memorandum
as are given under clause 5 of he Memorandum and also
an undertaking to the name of the society will be changed
if the said name already found registered in our records.
This affidavit must be attested by the Oath Commissioner.
Notary Public (Rs.3/-) Notarial stamp affixed thereon)
or Magistrate Ist Class.
- Documentary proof in the shape of sale-deed/lease
deed/General Power of Attorney alongwith Ration Card/Electricity
Bill and an allotment letter in the case of Government
Quarter in respect of premises shown as registered office
of the society under clause 2 of the Memorandum should
also be furnished alongwith no Objection Certificate
from the owner of the premises on Rs. 2/- (Rs. Two only)
Non-judicial stamp affixed thereon.
- Rs. 50/- (Rupees Fifty only) in case as the Registration
fees of the Society shall be demanded when the formalities
are completed and Registrar of Societies has approved
the same case.
- Ration Card/Election P Card/ or any other identity
proof required in respect of all desirous persons.
- Signature of three office bearers requiredon each
& every page of Mod & R/R on both sets.
AFFIDAVIT No.2 SPECIMEN OF N.O.C.
..do hereby solemnly affirm and declare
That I am the legal owner/General Power of Attorney
holder/allottee and in possession of property bearing
That I shall have `No objection if the registered
office of the society named
. Shall be situated
at my above said premises.
Verified at Delhi, on this the
199 that the contents of the above affidavit are true
and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief and
nothing has been concealed therefrom.