Jeevan Blood Bank
Jeevan’s aim is to provide the safest blood
and blood components, acheive and sustain 100% voluntary
blood donation and ensure repeat donation from 30% of blood
Between the period 1992 and 1995, during
working in a pathology laboratory the founder Trustees noted
a sudden increase in the cases of Hepatitis B, C and HIV.
Jeevan Blood Bank was set up to provide safe blood to those
in need of transfusions.
Jeevan has now become a trusted source for
safe blood and have made a positive difference to many lives.
Jeevan is a not for profit and caters to the
needs of many underprivileged individuals completely free of
About the Board
The Jeevan Board has evolved from three members who
helped kick start the organisation to comprise a group of
diverse individuals , each bringing in to the organisation a
host of varied skills and expertise.
- The fundamental
criteria have been a deep belief in the organisation’s
mission, trust in the Founder and commitment of time.
- In addition, it has been important that Board members
are also associated with other NGOs in some way or the
other- this has helped the Board appreciate the context in
which Jeevan operates.
- Board members have brought in not just their own skills
and talent but also their networks and contacts.
Importantly, there has been no hesitation to use these
contacts for the organisation.
- This has been possible because of the caliber that the
CEO has demonstrated in running the organisation
effectively and efficiently.
- Staff have full access to the Board – senior staff
also sit in on Board meetings.
- A high degree of faith in the CEO ‘s abilities and the
corresponding autonomy given to him by the Board makes the
governing role a lot clearer and the lines of authority
and accountability very clearly drawn
- There is an informal review of contributions of
individual Board members and the changing needs of the
Board and challenges addressed through discussion and
- Board members are always publicly acknowledged for their
contributions even though this is not an expectation.
- Conflict of Interest issues are understood by all Board
members and in potential conflict situations the Board
member is not involved in decision making or the
- The Board member in question in such a situation is not
even allowed to make any public statements about Jeevan
till the situation has been resolved.
- Decisions are always made through consensus and where
there are disagreements they are resolved through dialogue
Jeevan may be contacted at
7, Rutland gate 5th street, Nungambakkam,
Chennai – 600006 Tel: 91
44 52012222, 5201 00 33