Foundation® of IndiaGuidelines to volunteering
with the world’s most unique charity!
The Make-A-Wish Mission: To grant
the one dearest innermost wish of every child between the ages of 3 and
18 years of age, diagnosed with a life threatening condition, regardless
of caste, religion or economic status.
The Make-A-Wish Vision: To touch the lives of over 2500 new wish kids by the end of 2005
You can make the magic
happen by becoming a volunteer with the Make-A-Wish Foundation of India
You are about
to become a messenger of joy and happiness. By combining your enthusiasm
and commitment with thousands of other volunteers worldwide, who are doing
the same, you deliver the possibility of wondrous experiences for ill children.
As part of the Make-A-Wish Foundation, your acquired skill at granting wishes
will create lasting, joyous memories for special children and their families.
Welcome to the Wish Granting Process
Granting a wish
is likely to call forth the entire reservoir of your talents. Initiative,
detailed planning skills, and creative leadership are necessary, yet these
abilities must be balanced by your role as a flexible team member. Successful
wish granting is always a collaborative effort. One moment you must be
a keen listener, the next perhaps facilitate consensus to make a decision.
Some situations may call for gentleness, others may demand direct, assertive
presented in this document contains Make-A-Wish Foundationâ of India’s accepted wish granting procedures (in accordance with MAWF International
guidelines). They have been developed over time, taking into account the
collective learning experiences of countless wish granting volunteers.
This document represents a blueprint or guide to help you create joyful
(No monetary remuneration is offered for this role in the MAWF of India.It
is for those who would like to donate their time and effort towards making
special wishes come true!)
Purpose: The Volunteer is expected to deliver
quality wishes in a timely manner to eligible children referred to the Make-A-Wish
Foundation of India.
- Complete training/orientation program and keep current
- Average commitment of 10 hours per month. (Volunteers
are expected to regularly visit wish kids as per the regulations of
- To complete the wish referral process and the wish
granting process with help and guidance from the Wish Coordinator at
the National Office.
- Fulfil all aspects of wish granting process in a
timely manner by means of a fun and creative process.
- Make no promises to the child and family.
- Work cooperatively with other wish granters, apprentices,
local staff, and local leadership.
- Conduct wish child and family interviews to identify
the child’s wish and maintain contact until wish is completed.
- Ensure all necessary paperwork is completed and
delivered to the MAWF office in a timely fashion, including thank-you
notes, in-kind donation forms, etc.
- Keep the best interest of the child and Foundation
in mind when interacting with difficult people, keeping in accordance
with all policies.
- Actively seek donations for wish items and
services needed to grant a wish. (Wishes are not free…it costs the MAWF
of India an approximate Rs. 3000 to grant a wish. Donations and contributions
to the MAWF of India make a huge difference to the lives of our wish
- Continually update MAWF office on progress made
during the fulfilling of a wish—remember communication is the key to
a successful wish experience for everyone involved!
- Work as a team, remember to teach apprentices; remember
learning comes through experience, but also keep in mind that you will
learn something new on each wish.
- Offer suggestions on how to improve the process.
- Know when you need a break.
The Make-A-Wish Volunteer
Skills & Qualifications:
ü Strong communication skills, especially
ü Compassion and non-judgmental attitude
ü Available to make and receive calls
during daytime hours and in emergencies.
ü Available to attend to the children
at the hospitals twice a week for 2 hours prior to lunch.
ü Available to attend volunteer meetings
ü Ability to be resourceful and creative
ü Detail oriented
Flexibility, Responsiveness, Positive Attitude
Share the power of a wish!
- Opportunity to create joy in the lives of wish children
and their family
- Opportunity to expand and explore ones skills in
creativity and resourcefulness
- Acquire more refined negotiation skills
- Team-based learning, cooperation, and enhanced communication
- Network with others in the community
- Make a difference in not only your own life, but
also the life of a child
- Have FUN!!!!