Get involved in YOUR city and locality - Improve Your World
Get involved in YOUR city and locality - Improve Your World
Get involved in YOUR city and locality 
Improve Your World Home | About Us | Sitemap | Search | Contact Us 


Floods >> Govt. Resources >> BMC Messages
  Mumbai Flood Relief and Rehabilitation Resource Centre 
in association with Times Foundation

BMC Disaster Control: Phone: 1916 or 108 or 22694725 / 7 or Fax 22694719. Online complaints via
Times Helpline: 56354376 / 45
Karmayog Helpline: 98201-55591 (Upadhyay) 

17 new engineers have been specifically appointed by bmc for clearing garbage.  
So if there are ANY areas where garbage needs to be cleared, send an email to with a cc to us for follow-up with bmc.
Aug 16, 2005
Mr. Tripathi is co-ordinator with NGOs on behalf of the govt. His office at Mantralaya can give all clarifications that NGOs may need in the flood
situation reg. procedures, laws, GRs, etc. The phone number is 22028382.
Aug 10, 2005
Mrs. Redkar has now been posted at the BMC Disaster Control Room. Her mobile number is 98201-95156 . 
For any requirement, offer, and feedback, please talk to her on her mobile. 
Then you should follow up by sending an email to with a cc to us. 
We spend time there periodically and can thus try to follow up too.
Aug 10, 2005
Dr. Alka Karande --- "NGOs have made a lot of difference to the lives of people in the current situation."
And "NGO's rapport in the community is very good" etc.

So Dr. Karande and Mr. Ubale of BMC have said that would like NGOs to do the following and thus help the BMC in their efforts.

NGOs should adopt the role of watchdogs.
They should "identify affected people so that ration, etc. reaches them"
They should ensure that "every single needy person who is entitled to get relief does actually get it".
They should "hold the government machinery accountable for this".

NGOs should coordinate through the NGO Coordination Committee as mentioned in the Flooding Section of and also email BMC at 
Aug 6, 2005
BMC says the following will be needed: 
- schools - teaching aids, notebooks, textbooks, teaching aids, school bags, etc., rebuilding fallen walls
- clothes 
- blood is not a shortage currently but better to be prepared so pl organise blood drives in your area
- medicines - 133 health camps have been set up - doctors are going house to house - 15000 patients are seen daily - the Health Officers are saying that there is no shortage of medicines 
BMC is aware that leakages and malpractices occur and would like NGOs to act as watchdogs and inform them immediately.
Aug 6, 2005
Can you organise evacuation drill for students and other disaster preparation initiatives? In future, BMC would like to conduct test emergency drills. If you have the expertise to offer any such services, pl inform. - August 06, 2005
A deep level of assessment is being sought by BMC 
- which have been the worst affected wards, which are the localities within them, and which are the bastis within that locality 
- if these can be demarcated and mapped (i.e. actually put on a map of Mumbai)
- also to which height did water level come at each house in such areas 
then this could be used for early warning to those areas in such situations in the future. 
Unicef Mumbai is also doing a ward-wise assessment. BMC would like NGOs and other voluntary orgs to also do so.
Pl email such data to put on Karmayog and to forward to BMC etc. 
August 06, 2005
Govt directions for flood relief

As instructed by Mr. Vatsa, Secretary, Rehabilitation, Government of Maharashtra, 
* For ration/grain, there is no need for the individuals to show their ration card, that is, grains are being issued without providing the Ration Card.
* Compensation for damaged property, Rs.1000/- which the State is providing to the victims are for those living in the houses and not for the owners. In cases where the owner is claiming the money and not the real tenants, it should be brought to the notice of the Collector IMMEDIATELY.
* Families without any form of identification such as ration card, driving license or else, can approach the local NGOs who can certify their place of residence.
Ms. Farida Lambay
Vice Principal, College of Social Work, Mumbai

August 05, 2005