A note on the Cleanliness Task
Report about Cleanliness Problems in their localities
Method: Citizen will
file reports online in a simple standard format which will go to
relevant BMC officials and will be displayed publicly.
Monthly meetings will be held with BMC to generate ideas.
1. A Cleanliness Task Force to be
formed in each of the 227 Councillor Wards.
2. CTF to comprise of 5 citizens -
more if necessary for the size of the ward.
3. Each citizen to select a beat near
his / her home / work place.
4. Thus with 5 beats every ward should
get covered (is this a valid assumption?)
5. Each citizen will file his / her report
daily (or frequently) on-line (so net connection is necessary)
6. The report has only 4 fields:
- locations where
waste not cleared
- names of possible
waste throwers (optional)
7. Each report will be emailed to the
- person making the
- appropriate BMC
person in the ward (BMC will nominate one person for each report)
- appropriate BMC
persons at higher levels (maybe weekly or fortnightly reports)
8. The report will be automatically
displayed on the Karmayog website for public display.
9. The Cleanliness Task Force will, in
due course, invite the Councillor to be ex-officio chairperson,
and BMC nominee will also be ex-officio member. The functioning of
the CTF will, however, be by the citizens.
10. In due course, BMC will be
requested to put a proposal to the Standing Committee for a
payment of Rs. 10,000 per month for each CTF. Till then, each
CTF member will have to bear his / her own cost.
11. The primary aim of the CTF is to
report. If any CTF member wants to follow up, they can do so with
the nominated BMC officer. Also with the LACC of their Councillor
12. Every month, there will be a
meeting between AMC and other BMC officers along with all CTF
members. This meeting will be for system-fixing i.e. why are
repeated complaints not getting resolved?
13. If this system works, similar
system can be evolved for other local civic problems.
14. All this will be under the
aegis of the NGO Council.