Get involved in YOUR city and locality - Improve Your World
Get involved in YOUR city and locality - Improve Your World
Get involved in YOUR city and locality 
Improve Your World Home | About Us | Sitemap | Search | Contact Us 

  Home >> Cleanliness >>  Meeting between the MCGM and NGO Council regarding Cleanliness


Meeting between the MCGM and NGO Council regarding Cleanliness at 9:00 am on 28th Oct. 2005 at the MCGM Meeting Room, 3rd Floor, Annex Building .  

At 9:00 am, there were 39 persons present;  

from the NGO Council:

Vinay, Sudheendra, Jyoti, Gerson, Harshad, Shanta, Vinda, Janet, Almitra, Liza, Ragini, Ashok Dattar, Madhu Savant, Tanya, ______, (Reefwatch), Rajkumar  

From the MCGM:

Mr.Ratho, AMC, Mr.Sanglikar, DMC (Env.), Amol Gogate (McKinsey), Mr.Gupta, Mr.Paradkar, Ms.Mhatre (taking down minutes), Mr.Parelkar, Mr.Chaudhrey, EE, SWM, _____, CE, SWM, Mr.Damle, K(Ward), Mr.Pawar, Zone IV, _____, AE – Ghatkopar, _____AE, S-Ward, ________, AE, ________ EE, Zone IV, _______ EE, Zone I, Mr.Pimpale, EE, _________, Deputy CE, _______, Sub.Eng., Mr.Dalvi, EE, Zone IV, Mr.Deshpande, SWM, Mr.Sadekar, SWM, City, Mr,Lavekar, SWM, Mr.Thakur, SWM, Western Suburbs, ________ EE, Zone II, ________, SWM, Mr.Ahatre, EE, Mr.Kulkarni, EE, Transport


Ratho               :I welcome you all to today’s meeting where we will be having 2 meetings in 1. The first part is the normal review meeting that we hold every Friday for SWM officers. It is a good idea to have NGO”s present at this review so that all the theories of MCGM’s hidden agendas can be put to rest. An internal review in the presence of others is a good practice. The observers (NGO Council members) may note down observations/remarks that will be discussed in the second part of the meeting.


                        Let us start with the cleanliness of the key roads – the DE is supposed to monitor these in the City, Eastern Suburbs, and Western Suburbs.


Parikh:              In the City, we have identified 9 key roads where cleanliness is to be maintained. This is to be done in 3 ways:

                        i) debris – to be removed within 24 hrs.

                        Of the 9 roads, debris removed from all roads except Mahim-Dharavi

                        ii) elimination of bins on key roads

                        iii) substitute with hs. to hs. Collection


Elimination of 10 spots in each ward. The City area has 9 wards. In each ward we have identified 10 spots (under Parivartan project) where bins are to removed by providing the alternative of hs-to-hs collection. The AE (Env) is posted for this work, and above him the EE of Zone 1 and 2. The AE (Env) has taken the responsibility of 10 roads (list) with targets to remove spots by Oct.31st


Progress report:


Target no

No. Removed









Congested ward













F (S)




F (N)













The method of removing the spots: first a survey is conducted, to put into place the alternative method of house-to-house collection, where the details like number of vehicles, no. of households, etc. is obtained.


Ratho               :From Feb-Mar we will be having a new system in place with emphasis on hs-to-hs collection, and hence reduction of garbage. We are also working on the change of the contracts that are currently based on the tonnage system. In the meantime, we have instructed the Wards to take responsibility of as many road-side bins, and eliminate them, despite the constraints of the existing contract systems.


Thakur             : Western suburbs – from Bandra to Dahisar. The roads covered under the Parivartan Prakalpan are are : SV Rd, Link Rd, Sahar Rd, JVLR, Mathurdas Rd, Western Express Highway. By Feb., our target is the elimination of visible waste. For this we need to eliminate the spots that require teams to survey where the waste is generated, and then undertake hs-to-hs collection. The project is geared up with the existing resources at hand.. The target for 31st Oct. was the elimination of 185 spots, of which we have eliminated 42. The deluge of July 26th caused an additional load on garbage collection and disposal. By Nov. we expect to achieve our target.

                        In the 9 wards of the Western suburbs, on 10 roads, of 343 spots, we have eliminated 142, that is 45% of the total.

                        There is some problem about debris removal due to work being carried out by MMRDA, and we have spoken to MMRDA about this.


Ratho               : make sure that there is photo-documentation in all the reports that you make.


Savale              : Eastern suburbs – Sion to Mulund, 10 roads selected, of which one is the LBS Marg.






LBS Marg




Eastern Ex.Highway




Sion-Trombay Rd




Ghatkopar-Mankhurd Link Rd



Many unauthorized hutments

Maulund Goregaon Link Rd




Naigoan Rd.




Gahtkopar Andheri










Once we remove the bins, we also train the public. We have printed pamphlets for awareness, incl. vehicles with schedules that go to collection spots for 10-15 minutes daily, Complete hs-to-hs collection will take time. We have also started prabhat pheri demonstrations. We need support from the public.


6 wards under Eastern suburbs:



No. of spots








































Sudheendra: Are the pamphlets standardized for the entire city?


Ratho:              No, the pamphlets are not standardized. At the moment, we are focusing on direct contact with people; observing who is throwing the garbage, approaching them, providing alternate collection methods. Initially even when the bins are removed, people continue to throw at the same spots.


Parikh:              Summary for the entire city:

                        4689 bins – target of 756 for 31st Oct – 357 removed.

                        In the last 15 days, we have moved from 246 to 357 achieved. The process was slow initially, but speeding up now.


(2) Toilet Up-Gradation

Ratho:              We have done a survey of the existing toilets, and prepared a manual with specifications for the design, construction and maintenance for these. We have also surveyed the existing pay and use toilets and noted instances where they are not built nor used as they should be, and we are taking action on these.


Bilder:              212 with the Sulabh International, and 490 with other NGO’s have been given notices for improvement.


Ratho:              Are they cooperating?

                        Those who have done good work, we should show our appreciation, take photographs of their work and showcase it. I have heard that Sulabh is not cooperating. Why? They are supposed to be the torch-bearers. Call for a meeting with them. Our own Ex. CE is associated with Sulabh.

                        The AHS mandalis are doing this monitoring. Call them to the next meeting.


3) Installation of Street Litter Bins

City:                 300 have been installed in A-ward. We are facing difficulties in cleaning and manning for which we have appointed our own departmental staff.


Ratho:              What difficulties?


City:                 No equipment for cleaning, but we are planning to arrange for it.


Ratho:              Planning is not enough


______:           From today we have planned for a tanker and 4 persons to wash.


Ratho:              Ok, that’s for cleaning. What about collection? Who has the keys?


____:               The keys are handed over to the JO’s for cleaning.


Ratho:              Rag-pickers will be interested in the contents of these bins. What are we doing about this?


_____:             The contents are primarily bus tickets and not of any use.


Ratho:              Can the rag pickers reach in and pull out the contents?


_____:             No, that is difficult.


Ratho:              Then, the bins may be broken, if they are desperate.

I suggest we link up with those Ngo’s who are already working with rag pickers, and see that the rag pickers are involved as they are interested in the contents, and for the reduction in waste to the MCGM, we can pay the proportionate sum. Perhaps the keys of the bins can be given to designated NGO’s. Involve the local JO’s in selecting the rag pickers organizations.


                        Please do this coordination quickly, and for the installation of the bins, do the planning first and then install. First stabilize the 300 already installed, and then go ahead with more. Have the Management of the bins in place first. If you need help in stabilizing the bins, give a list of things that need to be done.


Amol:               10000 bins were to be installed. How many are done? 300 are installed. Around 5000 are waiting for delivery.


Ratho:              Delivery is not a problem. If demand is there, they will be given.


K-West:           Regarding rag-pickers, in some areas, they are not part of any organization, but they don’t allow others to come. For, eg. Film City Road .


Ratho:              One weakness of the rag pickers organizations is that they cover only about 10% of the rag pickers in the city – the rest are unorganized. It is accepted that rag pickers have territories, whether organized or not. The question is how to bring them into the loop so that we can address this locally.

                        Tell the concerned JO to decide locally – we can’t introduce new people. We will work through local Rag pickers, (with NGO’s or not) to achieve sorting of litter bin waste.


Seema Redkar: Most of the bins are with villages (like Santacruz village) with 4-5 persons on a bin.


Ratho:              Our own local staff know of the ground situation. Use this network/information, and do the work through local people – and we will work out a system of payment.


Amol:               Has the procedure for installation been done? Is it being done through Wards or Projects?


4. Uniforms and Implements


Sanglikar:         Sanction has been received. Have sent rate circular to each section, which will directly collect the uniforms.


Ratho:              the physical chain is: Mr.Bilder will collect and give out Ward wise to Head Sweeper, and he will give to sweeper. Are there limited Numbers?

Sanglikar:         No, entire quantity is clear, and will be distributed as per requisition.

                        JO’s or AHS’s will indent.

Ratho:              Colour is light green?

Bilder:              The workers have selected dark blue with an orange jacket.

Sudheendra:     It is important to note that for the first time the workers have selected their uniform and implements themselves.


5. Contracts

a) Beach cleaning)

(Dadar, Mahim, Juhu, Versova, Chowpatty)


_______          :The difference in the new contracts that are being drawn up is: more litter bins, beach cleaning, compacters, etc

Sanglikar:         New contract is output based, i.e. the beach has to be zero garbage – whatever required for that is put in by contractor. There is also a monitoring panel that includes local citizens, the AE, Ward officer. There is a maintenance score card. The contract is for “comprehensive cleanliness”, incl. slogans, publicity. In short, whatever is required, has to be done, and end result is a zero garbage beach.

K(Ward):         There is currently a court case on regarding the Juhu Beach – so we must take cognizance of the directives that come.

Ratho:              We are not undertaking any construction, so doesn’t apply in this case.

_____:             How to prove that the beach is clean? What are the parameters to judge this?

Ratho:              Make the Contract document available to all. There are several active Citizens Groups, like at Juhu, with Anand Desai, and PK Das, and at Dadar, Mr.Khatte.  Since monitoring is subjective, involve the citizens.

                        This contract will start in January – before that, the monitoring systems are to be put in place.


b) Highways


Mr.Lavekar:     The proposal for the mechanical sweeping contracts for Highways has been put in.

Ratho:              I have spoken to Satish Mathur about the problems caused to cleaning because of parking on alternate days, and he has agreed to help.

Lavekar:           For the other 5 roads also the tender will be ready by 1st week of Nov., and the ad can be inserted in the newspaper, with the deadline of 26th Dec.

Amol:               What is the time line for the purchase of the power sweeper?

Lavekar:           Target dates for:

                        Arterial roads:   1st June 2006

                        Highways:         1st March 2006

Amol:               Any problem faced due to parking on arterial roads?

Ratho:              If any problems faced due to parking, please mention and I will speak to Mathur to sort it out.

K-Ward:          There is a problem faced by washing of parked vehicles on the arterial roads that causes the area to look very dirty.

Ratho:              So get these vehicles removed. Why depend on the Traffic Police? Why can’t MCGM undertake to remove them? Do we have towing vehicles? If there is an expressed demand from Wards for towing vehicles to stop this activity, we will hire towing vans and physically remove these vehicles. We can’t expect the Police to do it always.

                        Further, such vehicles should be fined, as they are using water from the manholes. Draw up a plan of action, I will assist in getting it executed, by assigning a squad, or whatever is required.

Amol:               It is a twin problem of parking and washing, where parking is allowed; but how can you physically stop the washing?

Ratho:              If this is proved to be a public nuisance, then we have all the available resources to stop it. We will assist the Wards in all ways; get the police involved, etc.




Kshatriya:         Policy Document draft has been prepared and circulated to the apex committee. It has also been on the website since 7th July 2005.

Ratho:              The contracts, etc will follow. We need to be able to enforce the Policy.

_____:             we have issued a Circular, specifying the 2-3 things that need to be done by people for disposal of debris.

Ratho:              What have you done for enforcement? To ensure separation and collection?

In the old system, silt, debris and garbage was all collected together, as per the contract terms. It is common sense that these should be separated. In the Western suburbs, the existing contracts are to end shortly, and hence we had proposed new contracts that required separation. However the Standing Committee has rejected that.

Almitra:            That is against the MSW Rules.

Ratho:              yes, we are aware of that, and hence we have asked for an emergency meeting of the Standing Committee to ask them to reconsider this contract.

Almitra:            Further, the contractor must not be paid on a weight basis, but on a volume basis, where the weight must not exceed a specified amount.

Ratho:              The Contractors have no objection with separation, but they still mix the waste for profit. Hence they want to reject these new contracts and carry on with the old ones. However we have made it clear that the Standing Committee must take responsibility and state clearly why the new contracts are rejected.

Amol:               On the 1st of Nov., the Implementation of the Debris policy comes into effect. 2 circulars with guidelines are to be issued.

Ratho:              the second circular is still to be issued. We need to fix a date when people are ready for the implementation. Is ILFS here? Next time, ILFS must also attend the meeting.

Amol:               What is the time line for debris?

_____:             31st Oct – last date for suggestions and objections for debris Policy.

Ratho:              Give the Draft policy to the non-MCGM people here, and have a special meeting for Debris. Can you get it circulated?

Amol:               But the dates of bids are not to be affected by this.

Vinay:               A meeting would be better; people will take it seriously.



Sanglikar:         by 31st Oct., the entire plan as well as programming for the Landfills will be ready.

Ratho:              Shall we schedule a meeting for NGO feedback?

Sanglikar:         Let the plan come first from ILFS

Ratho:              Ok, there will be 2 meetings for:

                        i) Debris

                        ii) Landfill – based on the ILFS recommendations


New Contracts for Garbage Collection


_____:             By Feb-Mar, new contracts will be introduced. Our target is 100% hs-to-hs collection, of which 50% target is for Oct.2006.

                        Some features of the new contract: 8 tonne compacter, rickshaw system for slums, where Dattak Vasti is there, different vehicle depending on type and width of roads, Ward-wise contracts; for larger vehicles – directly take to land-fills. We have also planned for variation – as a result of segregation, there will be a change in the quantum of dry waste. The contractors have to adhere despite this variation. Payment is related to the service, and not to the weight.


Ratho:              The main change is that the tender is based on the number of services. In each ward, we have Dept. vehicles and contractor’s vehicles. With the help of route planning, we will assess the no. of vehicles and their size reqd for collection, and based on this plan, the tenders will be drawn up. MCGM to see that vehicles are fully utilized. The variation clause is put in as we have a target of 50% reduction in garbage in 5 years, and so that the contractors are prepared for this.

                        Earlier we had a centralized plan and contracts, but now based on the micro-plan prepared at the ward level, the tenders will be drawn up. All these documents (route plan, list of contractors, tenders, etc) will be put up on the website so that there is awareness amongst the planners themselves about the transparency about the plans they are preparing. In fact, we have got the deadline itself shifted, so that the plans get made properly.


Amol:               What is the timeline for the micro-planning with the AE (Wards)?

Pimpale:           We are on to it.

Ratho:              Markhande has drafted plans based on the 27 wards. According to the route plans, the contracts will be Zone wise, while operations will be Ward wise. There will be a Transfer Station in each zone. We have identified 6: Mahim, Dharavi, Versova, ....,  Pumping stations. These Transfer Points could also be Processing Points.

____:               The Variation Range is -25% to +50%. Decrease due to segregation, and increase due to population growth or influx.

Vinda:              Is there provision for separate collection of Hotel and Market waste in the Contract?

Ratho:              I was also thinking about this – it should be separate. Markande, include it in the contract; separate vehicle/route for Hotel and Market waste collected at appropriate times.

                        We will extend the time for the micro-planning as quality of the plans prepared is important.

Amol:               17th Sept. was the old date for the micro-plans, and 17th Feb.2006 is the date that the new contracts are to be in place.

K-West:           We could involve the ALM’s in preparing the micro-plans.

Ratho:              You cannot give them the responsibility. They can give you suggestions, discuss with whoever you want to, but the responsibility of preparing the plans is MCGM’s and it will be with the signatures of all engineers involved.

Amol:               15th Nov., the Expression of Interest for the tender Document goes out, hence Micro planning must be completed by 10th Nov.

K-West:           Municipal markets have separate tenders for collection at the moment, under the Market department. Do we integrate this into the new contract?

Ratho:              Good point. Integrate it – it will be a much better utilization of resources.

Markhande:      Some very large collection points like Dadar market require large man power for collection.

Ratho:              The routes will be prepared accordingly. In the City area, the following major markets (list) that require separate arrangements for collection will be identified – by the CE.

Vinay:               We all have inputs based on our collective experiences, which we can give, and that can then be built into these discussions and contracts.

Ratho:              We are taking decisions through the review, hence we cannot wait. Dry waste is not in this contract.

Shutre:              Variation is there.

Ratho:              Mention that separate arrangements will be made for Dry waste – that is not included in this contract. For bio-med, debris, hazardous waste, we will have a separate larger discussion.


Area Based Contracts

(for H-east and K-west)


Ratho:              Who is doing the planning? Who is preparing the route plans?


Amol:               Where are we on the ILFS tender document?

Where are we on the floating of the tender?


____:               The main issue is that in each ward, we have Municipal areas and private area, where the municipal areas are approx. 25% of the total. There is a chance of union clashes in the area based contracts.

Ratho:              He has the same concerns that I had about this, when we started out, and it appears that these concerns are still not addressed.

Amol:               The AE’s are not aware of what Area Based Contracts are.

Ratho:              The AE’s are close to the ground realities, so we must consider what they say, while implementing a plan.

____:               I have started preparing the route plans.

Amol:               An Area Based Contract is a carved out area for “comprehensive waste management” that is given to a contractor that covers the A-Z of SWM (except sweeping)

Ratho:              In large wards, some areas are taken up under A.B.C. The remaining area is still under the MCGM and private. We have identified K(West) and H(East) as critical areas.

                        Will the A.B.C. work in K(west)?

Amol:               As per the SWM Report, there are 2 types of indices for monitoring effective cleanliness:

                        i) Monthly level: how clean are the visible areas, slums, toilets, etc

                        ii) Roads – comprehensive cleanliness of the entire ward – on a weekly level – with 10 key roads – there is a sapling methodology for this.


                        The first week of the monthly level monitoring is out – with 3 indices – so it is now possible to compare and analyse.

Ratho:              We can release this in the media.

Dattar:              yes, have a Cleanliness Index, like the Pollution Index.  


Up-gradation of Chowky


Tatbhajye:        The information is available – in the next meeting we will have a list of all chowkies, and also details of how many will be upgraded in 6 months.

Ratho:              Also plan for the remaining, with budgets.



Ratho:              Mr.Awate is required – we will take it up in the next meeting.


Strengthening of Enforcement

Markhande:      list is ready

Ratho:              You are going to do what?

Markhande:      We need more ND’s - approx 56- – sweepers will be promoted as mukkadams.

Ratho:              ND is higher scale – make them Assistant to ND – will that ensure that enforcement is done? Prepare a set of instructions for enforcement at Ward level for Shop Inspectors, Ward Officers, etc. Cleanliness is the target, not Revenue Collection.


Bye Laws on Segregation

                        Draft is with Amol Gogate

Ratho:              Circulate on Karmayog


Dattak Vastis

Ratho:              Last year, we had a 100% target. What is the status today?

Seema:             Can we start with the registration of all CBO’s so that the list is ready by next year?

Ratho:              We have to decentralize.


Performance Based Budgets


Ratho:              Does not appear on a tracking sheet – it is based on activity – cost last year, cost this year – and the effect of this activity.

                        For. Eg.: Target for Dattak Vasti is 100%. Last year, covered 30%, this year target is 100%, hence this year the budget goes up.


                        We are also changing the budgetary format. Each ward prepares its own budget; hence you can see efficient wards and bad wards. The performance is seen and analysed ward wise, with maybe incentives at a later stage.


Part II of meeting: Discussions with NGO Council

To be read along with the Draft Minutes already circulated by Vinay


Vinay:               we are enlightened by seeing how you work and how citizens can contribute.

Vinda:              Communication is the key to the success of all initiatives. For instance, we are facing problems with the eliminations of bins and proposed hs-to-hs system.

Ratho:              I agree, communication at the community level is the key. Involvement of citizens at ward level – and need to launch a strong outreach programme.

Gerson:            It has been very enlightening. Is the fact of such meetings publicized?

Ratho:              We would prefer to show results.

Datar:               I am feeling refreshed that you are talking business – this discussion is heartening.

Kandivali :        In Charkop, vacant plots are being used as dumping grounds.

Ratho:              Yes, there may be unofficial dumping spots besides the 4000-odd that we are trying to eliminate. These dumping spots that are not on record should also be taken into account.


Vinay:               For specific items like debris (that came up today), we will form theme groups of the MCGM and Ngo Council; who will hold a meeting and discuss  so that all inputs are taken in.


                        Within the Ngo Council, all members have different strong agendas. There are 2 possible alternatives when interfacing with the MCGM:

                        i) we all have a common agenda – that is different from MCGM

                        ii) We all have different agendas.

                        The important point is to record all points of view, where the final view is then taken by the MCGM.


Ratho:              Yes, if in this particular forum, we are not agreeing, no point in going further. Either party is free to go to Court.


Vinay:               Disagreements are going to be there. Still, we need to record all views and present it to the MCGM


Ratho:              Yes, the recording of all points of view is important, so that MCGM cannot say it doesn’t know.


2: Citizen Monitoring


Vinay:               There are various models as options for citizens monitoring:

                        a) LACC – there are many issues

                        b) Cleanliness Task Force- at Councillor Ward level, with 3-5 citizens, Councilor, BMC rep; this Task Force will undertake daily reportage, can help in route planning, etc, and will require a monthly budget to function.

Ratho:              We will discuss the budget later.

K-West:           Make the Task Force a part of LACC

Pawar:              In some wards, citizens are active, in some they are not.

Vinay:               The Ngo Council will select 5 citizens for each ward.

K-West:           There are already meetings with AGNI, DIGNITY, ALM’s, etc – too many meetings, hence integrate into LACC.

Vinay:               Yes, the Task Force can be part of the LACC, but it is only for Cleanliness, hence it doesn’t need to interact with all the BMC officers – only the one designated for cleanliness in that ward.

___:                 In every Councilor Ward, there is an LACC that meets every alternate Sat. between 8:30 am-9:30 am. There are 5 citizens in this committee along with the BMC officers responsible for Water, Roads, Maintenance, respective JO’s, and the Hon. Councilor. The AE is in charge.

Vinay:               We are proposing a new structure, because the Cleanliness Team should have some credibility. We accept that LACC is a formal mechanism, but within this, we need to dovetail the Cleanliness team that has a specific agenda of cleanliness.

                        Also, if the Cleanliness Team goes on a monitoring round today, they will not wait till next alt Saturday to report. We need a person they can go to today.

Rajkumar:         LACC doesn’t work

Almitra:            I am troubled that meetings are held in the morning during the round time of all officers.

Ratho:              giving the task Force a different name but incorporating it into the LACC may not guarantee that it will work.

Gerson:            the 227 Cleanliness Teams is a good concept – it should not be tied up with a failed concept viz LACC.

Amol:               How is the proposed CTF different from the LACC? (that has mixed response)

Vinay:               the CTF will report not only to the LACC, but periodically to higher levels also, say to Mr.Ratho eventually, so that system fixing can happen – the top can push things down.

Amol:               Basically, an escalation of minutes of the LACC.

Vinay:               We also question the inputs of those minutes.

Amol:               If there is escalation of reporting and the LACC works, then are we okay?

Rajkumar:         Manhole covers are stolen. We want problem fixing.

Ratho:              LACC is a well-meaning concept of decentralized monitoring at the councilor ward level. However a majority of them are not functioning. What steps can we take to improve this?

Sudheendra:     LACC is already established. New idea is CTF – not a new structure. CTF should be dove-tailed into the LACC – but the CTF needs to deal with officers concerned with SWM – the other issues of the LACC can go on. One way of energizing the LACC’s is by energizing the CTF. Today citizens are energized about cleanliness.

With a campaign, that MCGM is serious about cleanliness and with 227 CTF’ we can focus on cleanliness, while being part of the established structure of the LACC’s.

Vinay:               There can be other Task Forces as well.

Ratho:              The CTF need not be linked to the LACC. The ward officers are concerned that they have too many meetings to attend.

Sudheendra:     Whatever is minuted, and the more it is shared, more is the confidence level, and lower is the cynicism.

Ratho:              fair enough. We can analyse the existing LACC, and create a system of centralized reporting.

Sudheendra:     If certain decisions are taken and made public, it helps the CTF to put pressure where required.

Gerson:            The paper-work (minuting) can be taken up by citizens.

Vinay:               We are saying that all interface with MCGM to be made public. It will be minuted by us.

Ratho:              In principle, we have no problem.

Vinay:               We will draft the concept. What about the budget? Can we initiate discussions with the standing committee about paying the CTF’s?

Ratho:              Yes, we can have a discussion and initiate the process.

Shanta:             Use the Corporator’s Fund.


Vinay:               The third model available for citizens monitoring is the Nuisance Detectors and Home Guards. ND’s can come out of the CTF members, who can be given status to detect nuisance, but not to collect fines.


Sudheendra:     The BEST has a system where they use their retired employees who charges administrative charges in place of fines while detecting nuisances. We need more ND’s than the existing number, and we also want to maximize citizens’ participation. How do we link these two is the question.

Ratho:              We cannot empower citizens to collect fines. We can empower them to collect administrative charges. Give us a good proposal and we will consider it.

Amol:               The anti-litter squad must not only fine but also pick up litter.

Ratho:              We can attach a conservancy worker to the squad.

Madhu:             Home guards can be used

Ratho:              Along with the Citizen driven Task Force, we can have Campaigns, and on a campaign basis, we can use the Home Guards.


11: Continuing Education


CERE will give a budget proposal so that MCGM can plan for the Communication Campaign.


Shanta:             Savings from vermi-composting can be put into the Communication Campaign.


Co-ordination with Agencies


Almitra:            According to the definition of Municipal Area, each Authority is responsible for their own areas. Hence Railways must manage their own waste. Make them aware of their own responsibilities.

Ratho:              Have a meeting with all the concerned authorities where we can discuss this point.

Almitra:            MCGM should not take over their waster.

Sudheendra:     Mumbai looks dirty because of the many kilometers of railway tracks that are littered with garbage.


Dattak Vastis


Sudheendra:     Coming back to a previous point, it is heartening to know that 100% Dattak Vastis is being targeted for slums. Have you devised a cleanliness index for each slum, by the slum dwellers?

Ratho:              Amol, lets put out an ad.: with certain qualifications for NGO’s who have worked in slums.

Amol:               Expanding of the index.

Ratho:              We can give incentives/rewards as recognition for performance.

Jyoti:                The same can be done for the Toilets.

Ratho:              yes.

Seema:             We have in-built that: after 6 awards for a toilet block, new place is given.

Shanta:             Graduates from TISS, etc can be used for this exercise.

Ratho:              Seema, Amol, Markhande, will work on this: Measuring the performance on the basis of satisfaction of the users.

Sudheendra:     Locals should be able to express whether the performance is improving.

Rajkumar:         One of the problems faced in the Dattak Vasti scheme was that one organization was given too many units – making it a money making exercise. Each organization should have only a restricted number of units.

Ratho:              we will wait for the Ngo Council’s View on this.

Sudheendra:     is sanitation a mandate of the DV?

Ratho:              No.

Sudheendra:     In slums, cleanliness is linked to SWM + sanitation.

Ratho:              In slums, NGO’s goes and builds and maintains toilets in consultation with the people. If Dattak Vastis are there, they should get into the consolation process.

Seema:             SSP (Toi) is not keen to join DV – feels it is too complicated.

Ratho:              Why is it complicated? We will simplify it. What is to be done?

Almitra:            My experience is that slum improvement programmes are sabotaged by the Councilors. So we want suggestions on how to insulate the Councilors from the people.

Ratho:              we need to have a meeting for dattak Vastis – with the CBO’s, NGO’s – mix of all the people working there.


Identification of demonstration Precincts


Vinay:               We would like to identify some demonstration precincts.

Ratho:              Sure, we would like suggestions of which places.

Sudheendra:     With demonstration precincts, we can make progress, change the perception of citizens, people can see the change, word will spread that the city is changing.

                        Eg.: The Nariman Point – Mantralaya - MCGM area can be taken up for zero garbage, and by 2006, “x” number of precinct areas across the city will be zero garbage.

Amol:               It’s already being done for roads.

Sudheendra:     To change perception, take an area that covers households, shops, etc everything.

Ratho:              For demonstration, we can take A-Ward. Take a precinct, do it fully in target of 1 month.

Vinay:               Organisations/Citizens can take up responsibility of giving feedback – small MoU for the areas can be drawn up for the precinct + community.

Sudheendra:     In the commercial capital of Mumbai, the key stake holders at Mantralaya, The Banking District, Nariman Point, MCGM, etc, are in one precinct, this precinct can be made zero garbage.

Dattar:              Take up other areas also.

Ratho:              In principle, we agree to demonstration precincts in as many places.

Markhande:      We should take up one of the worst wards, not A-ward

Ratho:              Take any area. MCGM has a plan for SWM. If any particular area/precinct comes forward, we can have that as a demonstration precinct.

Dattar:              Our aim is cleanliness – zero garbage.

Sudheendra:     What is being aimed at by the demonstration precincts is no visible garbage.

Almita:              That’s not good enough.

Amol:               We will get a plan, with specific steps for MCGM


Wet Waste


Vinay:               Plan for wet waste?

Ratho:              An area is to be identified to do the composting – may not be possible.

Vinay:               These areas are to be identified, jointly by citizens and MCGM.

Ratho:              The maximum amount of waste is to be composted in the same locality.

Shanta:             It is possible on building terraces.

Sudheendra:     Can we first tackle bulk generators in each ward? We can have a common in-situ bio-degradation plant, like the one set up at BARC, which can be treated as a pilot project, and can be scaled up.

Ratho:              We agree in principle, provided that land is identified.

Sudheendra:     The pumping stations?

Ratho:              They are not there in every ward.

Vinay:               MCGM is committed to no wet waste going to the land fill, in a phased manner, matched by resources.

Ratho:              The missing link (after the commitment, etc) is that we don’t not have correct data of land available for this activity, ie, in-situ composting/disposal of wet waste. We need to undertake an open joint exercise to get this data.

Sudheendra:     Sec.MNES, has informed us that there is significant Central Govt. funds available for household vermin-composting – hence we must get the plan drawn up quickly.

Ratho:              We can also give incentives

Vinay:               Will MCGM buy back the compost?

Ratho:              In principle, MCGM agrees to buy back as much compost as it needs

Sudheendra:     If this quantity could be specified, it would be helpful.

Ratho:              We will let you know the exact need

Vinay:               MCGM will have to pick up all of the compost made.

Ratho:              MCGM will pick-up, but not necessarily pay for all of it. We can give incentives based on savings made.

                        We have a figure of Rs.6/kilo at which we purchase compost now. There are 2 models available for us: i) pricing ii) savings

Pai:                   If there is a decentralized composting plant, the persons who bring the wet waste to the site should pay a fee – then this activity becomes economically viable, where land, equipment is given by the MCGM. I will give a write-up on such a proposal.

Ratho:              His point is that give this activity to a private contractor, so that it is efficient.

Sudheendra:     For bulk generators, can we set a deadline?

Ratho:              Where is the place?

Sudheendra:     At least to show the intent, can MCGM set a date/deadline?

Ratho:              We can take up in one ward, say A-ward.

Vinda:              We have given a proposal to the MCGM for B-ward. It is with Mr.Shotre for his feedback.


Recyclable Wastes


Vinay:               We have proposed a system of neighbourhood kiosks, where the generators bring their recyclable waste and sell it to the rag-pickers (from projects) who man these kiosks. The Rag-pickers take this waste to ward-wise sorting sheds, where they are sorted and then sold to either retail or whole-sale recyclers.

Ratho:              In principle, we agree it is a fine concept, of neighbourhood kiosks run by organizations, where recyclable waste, (incl. batteries, etc) is brought. After recycling this, whatever is left (like batteries), MCGM will pick up. But the following questions come up:

-         How do execute this concept:

-         How do we identify the rag-pickers?

-         Do the rag-pickers have the organizational capabilities?

Vinay:               We will discuss and give MCGM feedback on this.

Also, the sorting areas must be designated, else sorting will happen on roads. MCGM gives the kiosk, and sorting area free, so that the rag pickers can operate on a commercial basis.

Sudheendra:     Lets look at MCGM’s present role in dry waste management.

                        Today, the most visible economic activity happening all over the city is the sorting of dry waste.

Almitra:            How can MCGM facilitate what is not taken up for recycling by market forces. For eg. In Bangalore and some parts of Tamil Nadu, shredded plastic is being used to make roads.

Ratho:              We are also working on this.

Madhu:             Lets not get into this, and sort at source.

Vinay:               We need to identify the sorting areas, else it gets sorted on the roads.

Jyoti:                We have done a survey of sheds, some are constructed, but they are not maintained. And the balance are still to be constructed. This was under the SRSJ scheme.

Ratho:              We should give areas and constructed sheds/covered sorting areas.

Jyoti:                The Govt. of Mah. Regulations also mention this.

Ratho:              Give us a copy of these regulations

                        Markhande: make budgetary allocations for chowky up-gradation and covered sorting space.


Empowerment of waste pickers


Sudheendra:     Can we take the first step of identifying and registering all waste pickers?

Ratho:              We can register firms, NGO’s Associations, Co-operatives, etc all dealing with re-cycling of waste.

Vinay:               But not individuals.

Sudheendra:     All rag-pickers are not covered by organizations, hence..?

Ratho:              We will register the NGO’s, hence all must register, either with the existing NGO’s or with new ones. Every rag-picker must have an ID from a Registered Organisation. We will have criteria and regulating mechanism for these organizations.

Jyoti:                Is MCGM going to counter-sign the I-Cards?

Almitra:            The police can counter-sign the I Cards.

Amol:               What is MCGM promising the rag pickers?

Almitra:            Protection from harassment.

Jyoti:                That’s all they need.

Sudheendra:     Identification and registration of rag pickers is a step towards change in SWM.

Ratho:              MCGM will be empowering the rag-pickers.

_____:             There will be some do’s and don’t’s that are the responsibility of the Registered Organisations.

Vinay:               For a policy for SWM for Mumbai, we cannot depend on individuals for recyclables – we need organizations who can take responsibility.


                        We see two dangers in this recycling activity:

i)                    re-fillables – danger of spurious products

ii)                   forcing buy-back on manufacturers should not lead to their dumping it elsewhere

Almitra:            There should be a take back policy as there is for beer and soda bottles, where there is a charge for the reverse distribution process. 70% of the Al. cans of Hit, Mortein, etc are re-filled and hence have a high value in the waste. Discarded tube-lights contribute to great quantities of mercury. EPR policy

Ratho:              Tell us the considered opinion.

                        With the plastic ban coming into effect, this is a good time to introduce these concepts (such as buy-back) into the public.


Un-segregated Waste


Ratho: We can have a system of daily fines – but we cannot do this immediately.


Inert waste


Bijoy:               I have gone through the MCGM manual/draft Debris Policy. The collection system is fine, but the disposal is in CRZ and NDZ areas like Ambujwadi, Gorai, Deonar, Hariyali and Dahisar.

                        The suggestion is that process or recycle the waste at the Transfer Station. The document says that the inert waste cannot be processed at the Transfer Stations.

______:           The document has been since modified, and the sites have been changed – no longer in CRZ and TDZ


____:               Identify the sites where the debris is needed for construction/filling.

Vinay:               The inert waste should also be processed.

Ratho:              Are there places in Mumbai where processing plants can happen?

Almitra:            have dialogue with contractors, builders, architects – that large sites, above a certain area, must be zero garbage – they will then find their own ways to mange and recycle their waste.

                        Another way is to have preferential tenders to those who have recycled content in their material.

Madhu:             We also need a Hotline, to make complaints of violations.

Sudheen:          Can we suggest a round-table of all stake-holders to discuss this?

Amol:               we have already had a round-table with builders, etc.

Sudheendra:     If you have a target of 50% reduction of waste in 5 years, of which 50% is inert waste, then we need to concentrate on the inert waste.

Amol:               The document also proposes a tipping fee at the dump site, and securing of MCGM permission for any other site dumping.

Amol:               We need to discuss this off line.

Vinay:               All meetings from our side will be before the 15th of Nov. so that no change in timeline.


Medical waste

Vinay:               Apart from the large hospitals that are covered by the MPCB, for the smaller outfits, there are 2 options:

                        i) collect from small clinics and path labs. and also enable them to deposit at the nearest collection centre for the large hospitals

ii) Pay rag-pickers for whatever they collect from households, etc.

Ratho:              We are presently talking to the large hospitals, and have not so far covered smaller clinics who are not serviced by MCGM separately for disposal of Med waste.

Vinay:               The CTF can make a list of the path labs, clinics, etc in that ward.

Ratho:              In every ward, the Medical Officer is supposed to have list of licensed clinics, path labs, etc.

Almitra:            You need to work with the bio-med service provider – countrywide, the system of SHARPS is practiced which doctors, nurses, etc are familiar with – it involves separation of broken glass, syringes, needles. The Bio-med picks these up every month for a small fee.

Ratho:              Yes, they cannot be collected daily.


Non-Recyclable Waste


Vinay:               Incineration and Waste to Electricity projects should not be done.

Almitra:            RDF is second hand incineration, and so is also out.


Landfill and Land-hill

Vinay:               In a land-fill in a low-lying area, one does not know about the leachates that are seeping into the soil and water. Hence we should move towards creating land-hills and not land fills.

Sanglikar:         Point noted and taken. Next?



Vinay:               BMC should not buy cow-dung from tabelas, who should recycle their own waste.

Ratho:              Our proposed Bye-Laws for SWM mentions clauses for tabelas. You can go through and revert back with comments?


Slaughter Houses


Almitra:            The Aircrafts Act of 1934 and 1937 says that there shall be no slaughter houses within 10 km of the airport reference point. MCGM can use this Law to control slaughter houses in these areas.

Ratho:              As the NGO Council, if you can come up with strong recommendations on this, we can take it up at a higher level.



Sudheendra:     All lakes to have a buffer zone, and no dumping in any lake, including disposal of sewage.

Sanglikar:         The sewage into the Powai lakes is not by BMC. In Powai, there is an existing BMC sewage system That pollution is being done by some unauthorized housing colonies or toilets.


Plans for Slums

Vinay:               Almitra has some options on how to have cleanliness in slums

Almitra:            I will prepare a note, outlining thse points.


Ratho:              For 2 subjects, we need your feedback well before 15th Nov.:

i) Transportation Contracts

ii) Debris Management Contracts

On the 15th of Nov., we will take a final decision; for the other points, there is still some time.


Mission Statement

Vinay:               Can we have dates for milestones from the MCGM?

Sudheendra:     For instance with the 50% reduction of garbage in 5 years, can we break that down to different categories of garbage in each year? This ensures that citizens know their responsibilities, as well as the MCGM staff knows their responsibilities – it becomes a Plan of Action.

Vinay:               50% in 5 years is too easy a target in too long a time

Ratho:              We need to define what is zero-garbage – it means many things to many people.

Sudheendra:     The aim is to be world class

Ratho:              Our aim is 50% reduction in what should not be dumped at landfills.

Sudheendra:     Communication is the key to achieving all this. Communication to:

                        i) MCGM’s own establishment

ii) people at large

We feel that MCGM should set aside from the very large SWM budget, some amount for employing professionals/communication experts so that in the Year 2006, MCGM is seen to be taking up Cleanliness in a big way.

Vinay:               NGO’s can also share their experiences in projects, and undertake studies/surveys for the MCGM, where required, for a fee.


Ratho:              We are open to that.


(Meeting ended with a round of thanks)

It is one of the beautiful compensations of this life that no one can sincerely try to help another without helping himself. --Charles Dudley Warner